Ever since I went grain free about 9 months ago, tapioca has been my savior! Tapioca has a variety of different names in case you are confused – tapioca, yucca, cassava! Yes they are all the same root vegetable. The end product also comes in a variety of forms – fresh yucca roots, frozen yucca pieces, tapioca pearls (sabudana in hindi, also called a s sago), cassava flour, tapioca starch or tapioca flour.
And I use each of these different forms to create a multitude of dishes which enables me to not only stick to my grain free diet but also enjoy it! Tapioca pearls are a product made from fresh tapioca/yucca. In India this ingredient called as sabudana is primarily used during religious fasting periods. Sabudana Khichdi is one such popular dish.
In India sabudana kheer (tapioca pudding) is made using milk. Now I make tapioca pudding using coconut milk and maple syrup (for the sweetener). This recipe that i am sharing today is a further variation of the tapioca pearl pudding recipe where I incorporate fruits to make it a ‘parfait’. So yum. This has become one of my regular items for breakfast now but this could easily be your dessert too!
Here is my video if you want to watch how I make it!
For more of my day to day recipes and variations of existing recipes, please follow me on instagram at https://www.instagram.com/cook2nourish/
- ½ cup tapioca pearls(sabudana or sago), soaked in water overnight (or at least for 2 hours)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup coconut milk (about ½ can - shake can well before using)
- 1 tbsp grated fresh coconut fresh or shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup fresh papaya pieces, chopped
- 2 tbsp pomegranate arils
- Any other fruits/berries
- Drain the tapioca pearls using a strainer. Wash thoroughly in running water while in strainer. Place the tapioca pearls in a medium cooking pot and add the water and salt and cook for 2 mins covered on low heat. Open the lid and stir and add the coconut milk and the maple syrup and shredded coconut (if adding).
- Cook on medium heat for about 2 - 3 more mins stirring continuously until all the pearls turn translucent. Turn heat off. Let cool for a few mins and serve warm or place in refrigerator and serve chilled.
- In a tall serving glass, layer this tapioca pudding with different fruits/berries and serve as a parfait!