Are you ready with your Thanksgiving Menu plan yet? As for me, I think I am (and I will share my menu in my next post) but I keep adding more things to the menu! That is very typical of me and it annoys my husband no end! He always keeps telling me that there is going to be too much food! He particularly has a concern about that because I always reach out to him to create more space in the refrigerator LOL!
So these masala sweet potatoes was I just decided to try this week and boy, they are so good so they are definitely going on the menu! And they are pretty easy to make! Roasting means they will bake on their own in the oven and you can get other stuff done while they are cooking! I roasted them skin on so that’s less work for you plus it helps roast the potatoes better without excessively drying them. I used white sweet potatoes for these but you could also make the same recipe with any other variety of sweet potato!
Alright, here’s the quick recipe and I am sure you will thank me for this quick vegetable side! For the AIP version, I have also shared my recipe for AIP Garam masala which is in my cookbook, AIP Indian Fusion. Did you get your copy yet?
I have made a step by step video of this recipe. You can watch it here:
- 2 large white sweet potatoes, scrubbed and washed thoroughly and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garam masala (for AIP, use AIP Garam Masala -see recipe below)
- ¼ tsp ground cumin (Omit for AIP)
- ¼ tsp chaat masala (Optional; Omit for AIP or use dried mango powder or Aamchur)
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground mace
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Pre heat oven to 375 F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the oil and all the spices except the chaat masala (if adding) and the salt. Mix using a spoon till all the spices are well dispersed in the oil. Add the cubed sweet potato to the bowl and mix with a spoon to thoroughly coat all the sweet potatoes.
- Transfer the spiced potatoes into the baking sheet. Spread the sweet potato cubes so that they are in a single layer.
- Bake at 375 F for about 40-45 minutes until the bottom side of the sweet potato is golden brown. Sprinkle the chaat masala over the top (if adding). Take out of the oven and cover with Al foil until serving.
- Mix all ingredients in a dry mixing bowl and transfer to an airtight spice jar. Use as needed.