This instant Chocolate Mug Cake is grain free, dairy free, refined sugar free and nut free. It takes only about 10 minutes from start to finish and the best part is that it is absolutely yummy! This one tastes like a real chocolate cake and is not gummy like some other grain free and vegan mug cakes. This, you guys is the REAL DEAL! Seriously! Trust me and please make this cake and you will thank me!
What is a Mug Cake?
A Mug cake is one that you can make instantly in a mug in the microwave. It is something you can make when the craving hits you and you need a dessert instantly!
What are the ingredients in this Mug Cake?
- Cassava Flour: I recommend either Anthony’s Premium or Otto’s brand.
- Tigernut Flour: The tigernut flour gives it a slight sturdiness and improves the texture. I have used Anthony’s brand. You can use any other brand too. If you cannot find tigernut flour, you can substitute with coconut flour.
- Coconut Flour: Coconut flour is an important ingredient in this flour blend as it helps to give that perfect balance of fluffiness and moistness. So I would not recommend omitting it. I recommend this brand of coconut flour.
- Sea salt: You can use any brand of sea salt. I like to use Himalayan Pink salt.
- Home made AIP Baking Powder: You can make AIP Baking Powder easily by mixing 2 Tablespoons Cream of tartar with 1 tablespoon of arrowroot flour and 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Coconut Sugar: Coconut Sugar imparts the sweetness as well as helps to give the cake the spongy texture. I like this brand of coconut sugar.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is the other sweetener and helps to give a nice flavor as well. If you want to use only coconut sugar as a sweetener, you can do that and replace with same quantity of coconut sugar. Make sure you use 100% pure maple syrup that has no other ingredients in it. I love this brand.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut Oil helps to bind everything together and helps to achieve the right texture.
- Coconut Milk: Coconut Milk gives the moisture to the cake and also imparts it a richness. I recommend only Native Forest Simple brand. Always pour out from the can into a bowl first and then stir to mix everything well before measuring amount needed for the recipe.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 2-3 servings. You can halve the recipe to make less cake.
You can watch the step by step video tutorial below so you don’t miss any step!
- 2 Tbsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 2 Tbsp Cassava Flour
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 Tbsp Tigernut flour
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp raw cacao powder (Use carob powder for AIP)
- ¼ tsp AIP Baking powder (see recipe below)
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsps coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsps melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut milk
- extra coconut milk or coconut cream for serving
- Mix all the 3 ingredients together in a parchment sheet and when blended, transfer to a small air tight container. Store in refrigerator.
- Take a large mug (12 or 14 oz). Add all the flours, cacao (or carob), baking powder, sea salt and coconut sugar. Stir together to blend and break any lumps. Next add all the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly making sure all the flour is wet.
- Microwave the mug on high power for 90 seconds.
- Take the Mug out and let it cool for at least 5 minutes before serving!
- This recipe makes 2-3 servings. Top each serving with some additional coconut milk or coconut cream to make it moister!
- You can store leftover mug cake in refrigerator for 4 days or in the freezer for a month.
Other similar recipes you will like: