We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This does not however affect your price in any way and your price stays the same regardless of where you purchase from.
Ceviche is something that I have been wanting to try making at home for a long time but just never got to it. Recently I saw the recipe for a lovely shrimp and strawberry salad in a book (Share and Savor by Kylie Mazon Chambers) which was so tempting that it pushed me to try it! And I am so glad I did!
It was so easy to make and also so packed with flavor. This can be had as a salad or as a dip for plantain chips or cassava chips. I love the Siete grain free tortilla chips. Those are perfect with this recipe! They are however not AIP elimination phase compliant since they have chia seeds in them.
What is Ceviche?
- To those not familiar with ceviche, it is a seafood dish where the seafood is not cooked in the typical way with heat but rather it is cooked using strong acidic foods – usually citrus juice and /vinegar.
- The acidity in the citrus cures the fish or shrimp causing it to denature the proteins and become firm and opaque while absorbing flavor.
- After the seafood has sort of cooked in a way other ingredients are tossed in such as onions, cilantro, peppers and tomatoes.(In this recipe, we keep it nightshade free and avoid the peppers and tomatoes)
- It’s such a vibrant dish that’s perfect for parties especially as you can make it in advance.
The recipe in the book included halopenos as well as bell peppers and tomatoes which I excluded to keep it nightshade free. So I had to modify the recipe a little bit. I added some fresh ginger which gives it a slight punch. And added strawberries and mandarin oranges instead of tomatoes for that sweet and sour flavor. Also, the three types of citruses – lime, lemon and orange makes this ceviche bursting with flavor! So good! I am sure all seafood lovers will instantly fall in love with this recipe. And those of you who are new to seafood, this might be just the dish that moves you over into the seafood camp!
- ½ a lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 15-18)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ th of a medium red onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, grated
- About 4 medium fresh strawberries, diced
- ¼ cup fresh mandarin oranges, diced (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped finely
- ½ of a medium ripe Avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Chop the shrimp into ½ inch long pieces and toss into a medium mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, red onions and ginger. Mix everything well using a spoon. Cover and refrigerate for about 45 minutes until the shrimp firms up and turns opaque(looks cooked).
- When it's time to serve, add all the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and toss well together. Serve with grain free tortilla chips or plantain chips or as a salad!