If being on AIP is hard, then it is harder when it’s the holidays! Holidays are about family, fun and about FOOD! A lot of our traditional holiday recipes involve baked treats and as I have stated many times here before, a sweet treat is sometimes more than just a sugary good. A treat has psychological benefits and can greatly help alleviate stress and anxiety all of which can help in healing the body. That’s the reason in thes post, I have carefully compiled a list of 25 AIP compliant dessert or treat recipes just for your enjoyment this holiday season! There are AIP cookies, cakes, chocolate and pies for you to devour!
However, I want to mention that it’s always important to NOT over indulge and to treat a ‘treat’ for what it’s meant to be – a treat. Meaning it should be enjoyed only on an occasional basis making sure not to compromise on the overall nutrient density of your overall meals. If you overindulge on sugary AIP treats and desserts, you will not get the full benefits of the AIP diet.
I think that’s a good place to reinforce the basics of the AIP diet. What is the AIP diet? What foods are avoided on the AIP? What foods can be eaten on AIP? For all these questions, you can watch my video – What is AIP? Who can benefit from it?
What are some ingredient swaps you can do for AIP Baking?
The following ingredients are the most common AIP ingredient substitutions:
- All-purpose flour and other grain flours can be replaced with with cassava flour, tigernut flour, coconut flour, arrowroot flour, tapioca flour , green plantain flour or a combination of these. You can also try AIP Flour Blends by Beth Blends
- Butter can be replaced with palm shortening, coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil or lard.
- Cocoa powder can be replaced with carob powder.
- Instead of nutmeg and allspice, use spices like cinnamon, clove and ginger.
- For sweetener, use maple syrup, coconut sugar, honey, dates or molasses instead of cane sugar.
- Instead of eggs, use gelatin for providing a binding. In some recipes, apple sauce, mashed sweet potato, mashed banana or pumpkin puree can work too.
Below I have compiled a list of some fantastic AIP treats that can enjoyed for special occasions like holidays or anytime when you feel like being indulgent! Just make sure not to over indulge! Happy Holidays!
Cookie Dough Bites || Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough(Paleo, AIP, Keto, Coconut free)
Shortbread Cookies with Pink Frosting (Paleo, AIP)
Chocolate Cookies with Pink Frosting ( Paleo, AIP)
Sweet Potato Brownies || Fudge Chocolate Brownies (PALEO, AIP, Vegan)
5 Minute Homemade Chocolate – ‘No food processor’ version (Paleo, AIP, Vegan, Keto)
Easy Homemade Chocolate (Paleo, AIP)
AIP ‘Chocolate’ covered Strawberries
Chocolate Coconut Truffles(Paleo, AIP, Keto)
AIP Chocolate Cake (Paleo, AIP, Vegan)
Christmas Cake || Chocolate and Dried Fruit Cake (Paleo, AIP, Vegan)
AIP Instant Pot or Microwave Fudgy Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Mousse Pie (Paleo, AIP)
Every single one of these looks delicious! Thank you! Happy Holidays!
Aww…thanks so much!