Did you say chocolate? Ooh lala ! Two of the hardest things to resist while on AIP for me have been coffee and chocolate! So imagine my happiness when earlier this year when in Vancouver, WA where I had gone to attend a workshop as part of my NTA curriculum, I came across Paleo chocolate bars – Honey Mamas and Pure 7. That night in my hotel room, as I devoured that Honey Mamas ginger cardamom flavored chocolate bar, I went to heaven and came back! Omg! I had really missed you, dear chocolate bar!
I brought a couple of these back home but consciously stashed them in a corner of my refrigerator so that I wouldn’t be tempted to indulge too frequently. And that worked. And I was a good girl – having only a small piece of these bars occasionally when I really felt like it. Eating meals with a good balance of macros helped 🙂
Now that it is holiday season and I see most bloggers posting cookie recipes everywhere, I thought of making some kind of treats too for the family and for myself. Ever since eating that Honey mamas chocolate and seeing a list of its ingredients – raw honey, shredded coconut, cocoa powder, sea salt, coconut oil, ginger and cardamom, I have been thinking of trying to replicate that! Somehow I never gave it priority until last week when on a sudden impulse, I got started and 15 mins later, I had these cute chocolate cups sitting in the refrigerator.
These may not look that pretty but guys, believe me, these are delish! Yum! Plus, you know what? No expensive ingredients like coconut butter or tiger nut butter etc needed. Just your regular Paleo and AIP ingredients. I made two batches with 2 different flavors. For the 1st one, I added vanilla extract and for the second one, I added ginger and cinnamon. Both turned out to be great!
Got 15 mins to spare? Try making these today! If you have candy molds, you could use those! I just ordered some molds from amazon today and will make these again when they come! Meanwhile the mini cup cake liners were just fine!
- ½ cup packed organic shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp carob or cocoa powder (Use carob for AIP)
- 1 tsp melted extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tsp raw honey
- generous pinch sea salt
- 2 drops vanilla extract or ⅛ tsp ground ginger and ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- extra carob or cocoa for dusting (optional) (Use carob for AIP)
- In a small food processor jar, add all the ingredients and pulse for about 15 secs at a time until you get a mostly fine lumpy mass (some specks of coconut is fine or you can make very fine too).
- Place about two teaspoons of this mixture onto mini cup cake liners and press using the back of a spoon. Place these liners onto a plate/tray and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. (You should get about 8 mini cups)
- Peel liner and get chocolate cups out. Dust with carob or cocoa if desired.
- Store in refrigerator.