First time I ever had a ‘nourish bowl’ was when I visited Portland, Oregon a couple years ago when I was attending my NTA training workshop there. There was this lovely place very close to my hotel that just had different kinds of nourish bowls. I was impressed by the healthy options and even more impressed when I saw that all the sauce options to go with the bowls were all dairy free. Most had some nuts but there was one with coconut milk and turmeric that was AIP compliant and hence perfect for me!
Ever since then, I have been rustling up quick lunch bowls for me basically mixing up whatever is leftover in the fridge with some fresh / sautéed veggies etc. Never thought any of those merited a separate recipe post. Come on, what’s so great in just putting random things together? 🙂 But then I recently ‘upped’ my game when I made this Chicken Bowl where I also made a fantastic creamy turmeric mayo to go with it. Yes that was a game changer, guys! That sauce brought everything together so well that I have been making this bowl every week pretty much with slight changes. The past week I made it with ground turkey instead of chicken.
So since I love this one so much and it is so good, I thought I should share the recipe! You can vary the vegetables and sides per what you have available but whatever you do, don’t forget the creamy mayo! Yum!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped or grated fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms(optional)
- About 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- ¼ of a ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small clove of garlic
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp water
- Steamed Broccoli and or other veggies
- Boiled or roasted sweet potatoes
- Avocado slices
- Heat a stainless steel or a cast iron skillet. Add the coconut oil. When the oil is hot, turn heat to medium and add the ground chicken, garlic, ginger, turmeric and salt. Stir well to mix and as the chicken cooks, try to break the bigger chunks into smaller pieces. After about 5 mins, add the mushroom slices (if adding) and continue to stir fry for another couple mins until both the chicken and the mushrooms are well-cooked. Cook on low for a couple more mins until all the juices evaporate. Add the cilantro and mix. Keep this aside.
- Add all the ingredients listed under 'Turmeric mayo' and blend in a small food processor jar until smooth. If it feels too thick, you can add some more water. Transfer the mayo to a small bowl or a small jar.
- In a serving bowl, add the prepared chicken, steamed veggies, sweet potato and avocado slices. Drizzle the mayo on top!