This had been on my list for recipe development for so long! So excited that I finally was able to create a version that my kids approve of! Here’s some background for you to appreciate this: Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie has been one of my most ‘famous’ recipes in that my entire family plus all our friends just love it. I had started making this recipe when my kids were much younger. In those days, my focus was to just bake cookies/baked goodies at home so that I could avoid all the unnecessary chemicals as well as use good quality ingredients. And not having the patience to bake individual cookies, I started baking it like a pie and it was a huge hit with everyone! This recipe of mine has been doing quite well on my youtube channel too!
Shortly after I posted this recipe, I got diagnosed with RA and if you read my story, you will know that for a period of two years I was very sick and disabled. After that I started on my AIP diet and since the past two years have been on an AIP with some reintroductions diet. Along with me being on AIP, I pretty much eliminated everything processed from my family’s diet too. Since last year, I have been trying to get my family to be gluten free and dairy free too ( although I do feed them good quality butter and ghee ). So anyways, as you can see, the recipe for my original ‘Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie’ deserved a clean up…aka makeover!
Well, it didn’t take a lot of attempts fortunately to create the ‘Paleo’ version! To get my kid’s true reactions, I first did not tell them that this was a ‘paleo’ version. After they started devouring it as usual, I told them and they couldn’t believe it! So there you go! A Paleo version as good as the original version which had gluten, dairy and refined sugar! What else can a mom ask for ! Well, sadly yes this mom does need to ask for an ‘AIP version’ since I cannot tolerate eggs:( So yes mama is working on an AIP version! In the meantime, those of you folks who cannot tolerate eggs can substitute a gelatin egg for the egg in this recipe! I did try that and it was good however it was a bit crumbly so I am hoping to modify the recipe for AIP to change the texture.
What do you need for this recipe?
- Gluten free Flour (King Arthur Blend) or Cassava Flour (for a Paleo version)
- Palm Shortening or Coconut Oil
- Coconut Sugar
- Egg (you could use a gelatin egg for AIP)
- Dairy free chocolate chips or AIP carob chips. For making AIP carob chips, follow my recipe for 5 min AIP chocolate and then chop up the chocolate into chunks.
Check out my video for a step wise tutorial for making this pie!
- 1 cup King Arthur gluten free measure for measure flour (or you can use ¾ cup of Cassava flour)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup palm shortening or coconut oil, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg (for making gelatin egg - see notes)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Pre heat oven to 375 F.
- In a parchment sheet, mix the flour, baking soda and the salt. You can use a sieve to mix them well. Keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the palm shortening (or the coconut oil). make sure that it is soft. (You can heat it in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds to get it soft). Add the coconut sugar and the egg and blend using a hand blender till smooth. Add the vanilla and then add the flour mixture in divided portions and mix using blender. Repeat this until all the flour mixture is incorporated. Add half of the chocolate chips and stir using a spatula to mix it in.
- Grease an 8 inch Pie dish (glass or non stick) and dump the mixture on to it. Flatten it using your hands and spread it completely onto the dish. Now sprinkle rest of the chips on top and press light using your hands. Bake at 375 F for about 8-10 mins until the edges start to become crisp but the center is still soft.Do not over bake. Take out from the oven and let cool for a couple mins. Cut into wedges and Serve warm.
- If the pie is cold while serving, place individual portions in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to warm.
For gelatin egg, sprinkle 1 tbsp of gelatin in a bowl and sprinkle about 1 tbsp of water on top to wet it. Then add 3 tbsp of hot water to this and stir it vigorously using a fork until the gelatin dissolves completely.
This is a great recipe! I was looking for something that was gluten free, dairy free and nut free. I’ve made this twice already for dinner parties and it was a great success. The 2nd time for the flour I used half gluten-free flour and half amount of brown rice flour. It did make the texture a little bit crumby, but it was still tasty.
Thank you so much for sharing! So glad everyone loved the recipe! And would love it if you could rate the recipe too!
Just made this recipe and it tastes great! I substituted half of the flour with brown rice flour. My husband must stay gluten free and it was a real treat for him!
That’s awesome! So glad to hear this! And thanks for sharing that you mixed brown rice flour to the gluten free blend! The GF blend does have brown rice too. But I am so glad your husband liked it!
Beautiful share Indu. Enjoyed your video. Thanks for the share.
thanks so much!