Easy Peasy Nomato Sauce! Yes that should be the name of this sauce. If you have been doing night shade free for a while, you already know what nomato sauce is. But for those who do not know what it is, it means ‘ no tomato ‘ sauce that tastes just like tomato sauce! There are lots of recipes from other AIP bloggers for nomato sauce and I have tried a couple of them. They were good but I was looking for a more sour sauce. And I did not want to add beets or carrots in it. Not that I have anything against beets or carrots – I actually love them a lot! But I wanted to try making a sauce that felt more tart and one that could also lend itself to more purposes. So kind of like a base sauce. For example, one base for making pasta sauce, pizza sauce, curry sauce or ketchup! I have posted a nomato sauce before when I made my cauliflower crust pizza.
This time I wanted to make it really really easy. Because life is so busy as is ..right? So I thought what could be really easy? And my mind said ‘a recipe where we just dump all the ingredients into the Instant pot and magic happens!’ So that’s how this recipe was born – out of a desire to use my time efficiently (or you could also say out of sheer laziness! )
So presenting the easiest nomato sauce ever! No chopping needed. No prep needed at all.!
What are the ingredients in this sauce?
There are only 3 main ingredients – Pumpkin puree, cranberries and cherries. You can use canned pumpkin puree and fresh or frozen cranberries and cherries. This recipe makes a sour or tart nomato sauce. So if you want it more sweeter, you can either reduce the amount of cranberries or increase the amount of cherries. This recipe is so easy to begin with that tweaking it every time you make it is not going to be hard at all. I am sure you can soon come to a ratio of the 3 ingredients that yields you that perfect taste that you like.
I like to add just minimal spices to this sauce and like to call it the ‘base’ sauce. That way I can add different spices to this depending upon what I am going to use it for. For example you can add oregano and more garlic for a pizza or pasta sauce or cumin and coriander for a curry sauce.
I have made a quick video for this too. You can watch it below!
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- ⅓ cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup sweet cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ inch cinnamon stick (optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup water
- Add all the ingredients to the insert pot of the Instant pot. use a spoon to give it a quick stir. Place the lid and turn the valve into sealing position. Pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally or release it manually. Open the lid and discard the cinnamon stick. Blend the contents (using a hand held mixer or a regular blender) to a smooth consistency.
- Transfer to an air tight container and store in refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer.