Here is one more healthy brownie recipe for you! Please, Please try making this and don’t tell your kids that these are healthy! Just let them taste it and tell you first how delicious these are! And then perhaps you can let them know that these are so healthy filled with all the good stuff!
I have been experimenting with various combination of flours and nut butters. I had posted another healthy brownie using coconut flour and pumpkin before which had come out incredibly good too. This recipe uses almond butter to give it a richness. Almond butter and Coconut oil for good fats and coconut flour instead of regular flour. And pure maple syrup for sweetener. Since I have not been able to reintroduce eggs and almonds yet, I didn’t taste these but my kids and husband gave it their stamp of approval 🙂
I have made these brownies a few times now and all the times I had made it without the frosting. This weekend when I made them again I decided to ‘dress’ them up a bit since we were having some friends over for dinner. So I made a quick frosting using a Paleo chocolate bar that I had in the fridge. The brownies taste great as is without this frosting (as my kids tell me) but the frosting of course makes it more decadent and more of a treat 🙂
There are two more weeks until school starts and this year with my son starting college and moving away, I am feeling a bit teary eyed! 18 summers passed by in the blink of an eye. Summers spent hiking, swimming, camping, on the beach and also ‘baking’ together ! I am hoping that sweet memories like these (with the brownies included!) is what will bring him home!
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup pure organic maple syrup (or pure honey)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 two oz Paleo chocolate bar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey
- Pre-heat oven to 325 deg F. Great e a brownie square pan with coconut oil.
- On a parchment paper or a tray, mix the coconut flour, the cocoa powder, baking soda a and salt. Keep aside.In a large mixing bowl, add the almond butter and the egg. Whisk or mix using an electric mixer until the egg is well mixed in. Add the coconut oil, vanilla and the maple syrup.
- Add the cocoa and the flour mixture into the bowl and continue mixing. The mixture will be very thick at this time which is ok. Now slowly add the hot water in 2-3 portions until it is fully blended.
- The batter will not be like the usual brownie batter - it will be very thick which is ok!
- Dump the batter onto the grease pan and place pan on lower rack of the pre heated oven. Bake for 10 to 12 mins until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. (Do not over bake as brownie will get dry)
- Melt the chocolate bar using the double boiler method and add the maple syrup and coconut oil to it. Mix until you get a creamy mixture.Spread this on the warm brownie to form an uniform layer.