Super Bowl was this past weekend and game night is synonymous with lots of food. This year we hosted the party for our neighborhood friends at our home. Folks signed up to bring different kinds of appetizers and dips. We had a good balance of junk food with healthful foods – grilled vegetables and salads made for a less greasy overall meal! And I decided to make Chicken wings. Since I am on a Paleo diet these had to be strictly paleo with only natural ingredients with no artificial anything!
So I decided to bake the chicken wings asian style! I added kashmiri chilli powder for the heat and used honey for the sweetness. Sesame oil and coconut aminos provided the distinct asian flavors and ginger, garlic provided additional flavors that made these chicken wings unforgettable!
My son called these ‘wickedly insane’ ! I think that translates to ‘fantastic’ in high schooler lingo 🙂 These babies are double baked to give them the extra crispiness and the extra sauce on top makes these simply ‘to die for’!
I am not a big sports fan. Game night is exciting to me only for the company of friends and for the food! However last weekend’s game was pretty exciting …at least the last quarter. And I personally thought it had a good message for everyone in all walks of life. And the message is ‘ Do not give up, ever. Keep positive till the very end and you can indeed turn things around magically if you believe enough in yourself!’
- Chicken wings around 4 lbs or about 40-42 pieces
- Juice of two lemons abt ½ cup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp chinese five spice ( optional)
- 2½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup soy sauce or coconut aminos (use coconut aminos for paleo)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Pat dry the chicken wings using paper towels to remove any excess water.
- Mix all ingredients listed under marinade together in a bowl.
- Marinate the chicken wings in the marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 deg F (210 deg C)
- Line 2 large trays with Al foil and brush lightly with olive oil.
- Place the chicken wings on the tray spread separate from each other.
- Bake at 425 deg F for between 20-25 minutes (or until the chicken pieces are cooked). Make sure you don't overcook at this point - the wings should just appear cooked but not turn crispy. Remove wings from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 350 deg F (180 deg C)
- In a small cooking pot, add all sauce ingredients and cook for about 10-12 minutes until you get a thick sauce. Turn heat off. Keep sauce aside.
- Reserve some sauce for dipping and dip each chicken wing into the remaining sauce to coat it completely and again bake them at 350 deg F (180 deg C) for about 10-12 mins until crispy on the outside. Flip the wings once mid-way i.e. at after about 5-6 minutes. (It would be best to arrange the wings over a grilling mesh at this point with a pan under to catch the drippings - see picture below)
- Serve warm drizzling the extra sauce over top.
Step wise pictures:
Marinate wings in the chills lemon vinegar marinade for 30-60 minutes.
Cook honey soy chill sesame sauce
Cook marinated wings at 425 deg F for 20-25 minutes on a baking tray
Dip baked wings in honey sauce and place on mesh/grill and over tray and bake again at 350 Deg F for 10-12 minutes flipping them half-way through.