I love experimenting and creating new recipes. That’s not a problem at all. I absolutely enjoy doing that. But you know what is a problem for me? Naming the recipe! Yes, that’s what I struggle with! That’s exactly what happened with this tray bake aka chicken and veggies bake aka roasted chicken and vegetables aka baked chicken with italian dressing. What is the best name for it? Anyways, I gave up and settled for ‘Easy Chicken and Vegetable Bake’! For sure, it is EASY! It takes less than 15 minutes to prep and then you just stick it in the oven for about 35 minutes and voila you have dinner ready!
Since there was so much time, I decided to make some Paleo dinner rolls to go with them. I tried this recipe by Paleo Spirit. It came out really well and the family loved it. Since I am not able to tolerate eggs, I made Sweet potato AIP Rolls for myself which I have begun to love so much! This time I used white sweet potatoes and they came out absolutely fabulous!
OK back to this tray bake! I wanted to create a simple recipe for my clients who want to save time and batch cook meals. That’s how I decided to try creating a one pan recipe by adding chicken thighs as well as vegetables in the same recipe. And for keeping it super simple, yet delicious, I used an easy italian dressing for the marinade. I used white sweet potatoes, broccoli and carrots for the vegetables using a combination of starchy and non starchy. This could be a great recipe for batch cooking (serves 4 but you can double this easily) but in our house, the tray was wiped clean in one setting! LOL!
The vegetables were perfectly cooked and the drippings from the chicken as it roasted gave the veggies wonderful flavor!
This tray bake btw would be a great recipe to make in the next few days when you are relaxing and generally celebrating the holidays! Wish you all a merry Christmas and a wonderful New year!
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1.5 lbs Chicken thighs (skin removed), thawed
- ½ of a medium size onion, cut into thin rounds or slices
- 1 large carrot, sliced into ⅛ inch rounds
- 2 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 1 large white sweet potato, peeled and sliced into ⅛ inch rounds(for a keto version, use any other non starchy vegetable)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Add all marinade ingredients into a small glass jar/bottle. Screw the lid and shake vigorously until you get an emulsion. Keep this aside.
- Place the chicken things in a large mixing bowl. Pour the marinade all over the chicken. Cover the bowl and keep aside at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, slice all the vegetables.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Take a glass casserole dish (9 inches by 13 inches) and grease it with the avocado oil.
- Place all the vegetables in the dish spread out evenly in a single layer.
- Now place the chicken thighs and place them one by one over the vegetables. Pour all of the marinade over the chicken and vegetables.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake uncovered for about 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through completely.
- Remove the dish from the oven and cover it with Al foil and let rest at room temperature for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Some other vegetables that will work in this recipe are cauliflower, zucchini, regular potatoes.