A couple of weeks ago I was craving for sweet mango jam to have with hot paranthas and since I did not have any home-made mango jam left(that my sis sends me from india) but had a lot of apples (from our apple picking last month), I decided to try to make an apple jam cum chutney cum marmalade that could go well with hot paranthas as well as serve as a nice dip for spring rolls and dumplings etc. Happy to say I was successful in making one and believe me this one is truly easy and so it is an useful recipe to have. I added dates so that I could reduce the quantity of sugar.
This is such an easy recipe – it takes less than 30 mins! Use apples that are sour and have a soft consistency for making this chutney. I love to eat this chutney (jam) just ‘as is’ too – it’s so delicious 🙂 I love to eat these with my cassava methi parathas!
You can make a larger batch using the Instant Pot too. Check out my video :
- 2 medium size apple, peeled and chopped
- 4 dates,pitted and chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped fine
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder / cayenne pepper (Omit for AIP)
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds or ground fennel (omit for AIP)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar or jaggery (use coconut sugar for paleo and AIP)
- ½ cup water
- Take all the ingredients and add to a medium size cooking pot. Place on the stove on medium heat. After 1 minute, cover with a lid and reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 10 minutes.(Stir occasionally to avoid any burning). Now open the lid - the apple and date pieces should have softened.(If not, again cook for about 5 more minutes).
- Once the apples are all mushy, cook uncovered for another 10 minutes or so until the mixture thickens and resembles a nice thick chutney/spread consistency. Chutney can stay outside at room temperature for about 2 days and in refrigerate for up to 1 week
Use a sour and soft variety of apples like Granny Smith or Gala. If you use a variety that is harder, the cook time will increase. So you may need to cook for longer -up to 30 minutes and would also need to add additional water until the apples turn soft.