Every year as I try to make the Diwali sweets, I try to add some healthy ingredients like nuts, dried fruits etc. Dates and almonds are a great combination. A friend had shared this delicious date almond cake at a party that was really delicious. But it also had a lot of sugar and the method of making it seemed a little tedious. So I tried to use my imagination and created a recipe that required just mixing the ingredients and baking in an oven versus cooking on the stove top.
So here’s how you can make them
This recipe will make about 10-12 fudge squares Ingredients: 1 cup whole dates (seeds removed) 1 cup whole almonds (skin is fine), 1/2 cup brown sugar 1 tbsp flour 1/4 cup milk 1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
Bake the oven to 350 deg F. Grease a small shallow tray or a jelly roll pan.
1. Take the almonds and put into food processor and grind till you get a mix of fine and some coarse powder.
2. Transfer the powdered almonds into a mixing bowl and next add the dates into the food processor and grind them till they form one big lump.
3. Transfer this date mixture into the mixing bowl and add all the rest of the ingredients – flour, milk, brown sugar and butter.
4. Mix with a whisk and then pour into the greased pan and bake at 350 F for about 20-25 minutes until you see the edges turn dry although the center of the fudge will still remain soft.
5. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then cut into squares and carefully transfer cut squares into paper baking cup liners. Decorate with cut almond slivers.