When you have kids, you have no choice but to innovate in the kitchen just so you can get them to eat something! Packing school lunches is a real challenge because you want to pack them something that is not messy and something that does not need to be warm . But at the same time it needs to contain something that you know they will eat for sure. And of course, I am forgetting, the most important thing for us moms is that it should not take up too much time in the mornings! These chicken wraps are easy to make – I cook the chicken for these the previous night and so making these in the morning takes less than 10 minutes. Also whenever we have chicken curry for dinner, I keep a few pieces aside and then use those the next morning for the wraps.
Sorry that my final wraps are not whole wheat whereas my step wise pics show whole wheat tortillas – just happened to be shot on two different days since the first day pics didn’t come out great:)
OK so here’s the recipe:
This will make 4 chicken wraps
4 medium size(8 ”) Whole Wheat or plain flour tortillas
2 pieces of boneless chicken thigh, cleaned and washed, about 1/2 lbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of red chilli powder (cayenne pepper)
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
1/4 tsp of cumin powder
1/4 tsp of garam masala (optional)
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp olive oil
Other Filling ingredients:
Lettuce, shredded, 1/4 cup
1/4 th of a medium red onion, thinly sliced
Tomatoes, finely chopped, 1/4 cup
avocado pieces (optional)
Cheddar cheese 2 tbsp
Chipotle ranch dressing* or sriracha mayo* (or plain sour cream) 2 tbsp
1. Cut the chicken onto tiny 1/4 inch cubes. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and marinate the chicken in it for at least 15 minutes and then put some oil on a grill pan (or any shallow non stick pan) and shallow fry the chicken pieces on low to medium heat stirring them continuosly till they are cooked – about 5-7 minutes. transfer the chicken pieces immediately into Al foil and cover it.
2. To assemble the chicken wraps, take one tortilla at a time and heat on a shallow pan for about 1 -2 minutes on each side till slightly warm. Remove onto a plate.
3. Spread some of the cheese on the tortilla. Then add half of the chicken pieces. Now add a little each of the other filling ingredients. Drizzle some dressing (or sour cream) on top of the chicken and the filling ingredients.
4. Fold the tortilla from the base once and then immediately roll the two sides too and then continue rolling from the base up till you reach the top (Similar to how you would make a spring roll)
5. At the top where the end of the tortilla meets the roll add some more cheese and then place this roll on a heated pan to toast it slightly for about 1-2 minutes so that the cheese will melt and cause a tight seal for the wrap. Turn and toast on other side for a minute or so.
Repeat same process for the other wraps too.
Cut each wrap into two and serve with extra chipotle ranch dressing,sour cream and /or salsa.
*: You can use store bought Chipotle ranch dressing or you can make it by mixing equal quantity of mayonnaise and ranch dressing with some chipotle seasoning.
For sriracha mayo, mix a little bit (depending upon how much heat you like) of sriracha sauce with mayonnaise.
- I usually make this with left over chicken from any chicken dish. So this is a great way to use left over chicken.
- You can also use ground chicken instead of chicken pieces. Or use left over chicken cutlet pieces.